The Underwater Hockey Tourist
Thanks for visiting the Underwater Hockey Tourist website. Did you know that this site has been up and running since '96? Founded by Lisa de Speville in South Africa, the site has been maintained since 2002 by the Houston Underwater Hockey Trust.
Contribute your knowledge
When you send information about underwater hockey being played somewhere in the world, please submit the following information -- especially the information with *** next to them!.
- Country: ***
- Province/State/Region: ***
- City/Town: ***
- Contact Information: *** Please give us a Name AND email and/or telephone; we will be happy to list any additional contact information you like. However, we can't list a club unless our visitors can reach you. Note! If you give us a contact address that is different from the address of a practice location, please make this clear so that we do not accidentally send strangers to your home expecting an underwater hockey game!
- Club Name:
- Latitude and longitude: One way to get the practice locations' latitude and longitude is to use the ACME Mapper or the "Link to this page" from Google Local.
- Practice Times and locations: (If you can give us the name and street address for each pool, it will make it easier for people to find the pools, and easier for us to try to map the pool's location on our worldwide map)
Send all this information to Chris at Sea_Dragons@earthlink.net.
How we do this
All the data is stored in an xml file. After making a change we run a script which generates the entire site from the xml file and a few clearsilver templates. It also outputs the Underwater Hockey Tourist in KML. All this depends on the heroic efforts of Tom Brown, who designed the scripts on which the site depends and has been extremely generous with his time supporting the Underwater Hockey Tourist in its new life as a map-enabled resource.
See you at the bottom!
- first click on marker in map does not open the info window
- Only tested with Firefox 1.5, IE 6, and KHTML/WebKit browsers such as Safari
- want link to "get driving directions"
- Lots of stale data. (Send us updates! If you know a contact person for a club, it is your duty as a hockey player to inform on him/her!)
- Make it easier for people to grab the raw data
- Add links for get driving directions when we know the location is correct
- Make countries list not disappear when font is huge
- clean up lingering font tags
- Add at least one map marker per country
- clicking on marker should scroll to country or region if club will still be visiable
- add links to scripts, maybe subversion archive?
- make a dtd for data.xml
- validate the html
- export locations as some sort of RSS style feed or something readable by Piggy Bank. Done KML for google earth. Suggestions for next?
- drop down box of countries instead of list?
30 Sep 2006